ANGELINA JOLIE GETS DOUBLE MASTECTOMY & OVARY REMOVAL SURGERIES

Certain celebrities can definitely be considered heroic as they share personal stories about themselves. In recent news, Angelina Jolie gets double mastectomy and ovary removal surgeries. A little over three months ago Jolie had a double mastectomy to remove her breasts because she wanted to reduce her risk of developing cancer. Jolie's mother died of breast cancer when she was in her 50s and after she passed Jolie knew that she would be at risk of developing the cancer.

During an interview with NY Times, Jolie stated that her "doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman."

She discovered that she had the BRCA1 gene that increases a woman's risk to develop breast cancer and ovarian cancer she knew she had to do something about it. She stated, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex. "

Very soon Jolie will undergo a surgery to remove her ovaries. This is said that this is a very common procedure that many doctors recommend to their female patients who are over the age of 40 years old and whom are done with having kids.

Jolie shares her reasoning behind revealing her medical story with the world. She states, "I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer. It is my hope that they, too, will be able to get gene tested, and that if they have a high risk they, too, will know that they have strong options. "

We can only wish her the best and for other women to have their annual breast exams and go in for your annual pap smears as well.